Harry and Meghan are changing the royal tradition
Tami Lancut Leibovitz
The controversial and unique connection between the British Prince Harry and The American Meghan Merkle will make Meghan into a special kind of princess. How much do you know about the royal lifestyle? Meet the rules Merkle will have to adjust to fit into the traditions of the royal British house and learn new & interesting facts about the royal family
Prince Harry was always been the naughty British prince, especially compared to his older brother William and his impressive wife Kate. The youngest son of the late and beloved princess Diana has been making headlines for years, some for better reasons and some for less so I wasn’t completely surprised that his fiancée choice was also one that is worth a headline! Merkle, the soon to be princess is hardly the obvious choice for a British princess. She’s American, divorced and an independent career woman, a known TV actress in the series Suits and an Ex-model who studied theater and international relations. She’s also a pro-woman activist that is not shy about her opinions. Her racial background is also new for the royal family – she’s part white, part African-American from her mom side, making her the first ever African-American or African joining the royal family.
Harry fall in love with a woman that resembles his mom in spirit, Princess Diana also was a breaking through kind of princess, and was different, open, and modern compared to others that took the role before her and used plenty of her time for activist actions.
Diana also didn’t have an easy entry to the position but years after, it seems the Brits are welcoming towards Harry’s finance when we inspect the warm embrace she received in the media. The couple’s engagement and wedding plans are also different – Harry was telling reporters he proposed while they were making a simple chicken dinner at home and the wedding is set to take place on a Saturday and be more relaxed than the mid-week celebrations events were accustomed of seeing in the royal family tradition.
What type of behaviors and costumes should Merkle adopt so she can turn into a royal princess?
Do and don’ts for Merkle in terms of appearance:
- She must keep a modest look with no cleavages, no mini-skirts, and no shorts.
- As an official princess she should never expose her legs – only with pantyhose
- She should always wear official hats for official events
- Colorful manicure is not an option, she can only wear natural tones
- She should only wear classic heels – no platforms allowed
- No furs allowed
In terms of official protocol of the royal family:
- While seating: As a princess, Merkle should always sit in public with her legs and knees close together, she can cross her legs elegantly but never sit with one leg on her thigh in public. She must take a special notice for keeping her legs tight together in public.
- While walking: She must keep an elegant pace.
- While bowing down: She must take a small bow when meeting the queen in the proper female gesture, with her right left sent back, a small knee bend while keeping her head and back straight and offering a small neck gesture.
- While shaking hands: It’s important for her to keep eye contact and a smile at all times. The soon to be princess has a charming, beautiful smile so I think she’ll ace that part pretty quick!
Around the table:
- She has to wait to get seated just like in many types of official dinner.
- The queen determines the pace of eating, you can’t start eating until she does, and you must stop eating when she does.
- No elbows and hands on table – that’s an easy one!
- No cellphones can be visible around official royal dinners. No, no selfies with the queen!
- She must keep her makeup in tact at all times of the dinner and do whatever she can to keep the lipstick stain off the glass.
- At the famous tea hour, you lift the cup with your right hand and the bottom of the cup in the left hand. You never leave the pinky up – it’s an old tradition that has passed from the world.
Wish to know more surprising facts about the royal family and Merkle’s new life?